Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Learning Never Stops With a Bulldog

I've said it before & I'm saying it again...bulldogs are the educators of dogs.  I've learned so much from them in the past & now I have another learning opportunity to report & I think I also solved a mystery

Anyone know what this is a photo of?  a) Grain of rice?  b) Fake eyelash?  c) Feather?  d) Clump of fur that was stuck in Vivi's front teeth?  If you guessed d-you are correct.  Eeeew right?  But I'm not lying, it was there...stuck in the gums of her upper teeth...sticking out like they belonged there...lord only knows for how long.

I only caught it by chance when I had Vivi on her back clipping her nails & her jowls flipped back & I happened to look in her mouth at that exact time.  I was like...what the heck?!  So being a self-described picker I tried to take a look, but she wouldn't let me...I mean I did have to focus at the task at hand (her nails).

So the next time she sat on my lap, I took the opportunity to take a good look in her mouth & sure enough...clump of hair...in her teeth!  I remembered a friend of mine had to bring her bulldog in to get his teeth cleaned because of the hair that would get stuck after he groomed himself, but never gave it much thought...until I saw Vivi's that night.

I looked up "hair in dog's teeth" & it is more common than I thought.  Short hair or long hair...it doesn't matter, it can happen to any breed; but I would think if it's shorter hair it stands a better chance of just sticking out from the gum line vs being wrapped around the teeth.  Hair stuck in the gum can cause a plaque build up, bad breath & even gum disease. 

To get the hair out, I just kept grabbing at it with my fingers.  I did not use a tweezers because she's such a wiggle worm that I knew she'd get hurt.  It took awhile, but I eventually got that sucker out of her teeth!  Ha!  Mystery of the bad breath bully--CASE SOLVED!!!  Or at least I hope.  I've been trying to be better with the bullies' teeth cleaning to keep this at bay....some days I'm better at that than others.  Thankfully they all like getting their teeth cleaned because they love the taste of the toothpaste I use...silly bullies.
Any of you deal with this?  Any tips or tricks to keeping the hair out?  The boys' don't seem to have this same problem as Viv...weird.

6 comments:

  1. Oh and I found MORE on the roof of her mouth!!!!!! I just wish she'd let me pick them all out...but no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally, have just found this out myself with my bulldog. I picked it out, bad breathe went away. That smell came back a week later, checked that same spot...sure enough...hair. Got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of this before...I was actually just researching it because my poor toy poodle has it wrapped around her bottom front teeth...I had no idea what it was but it looked like black skin on her gums but it was dry. I noticed it a couple days ago and made her an appointment for a check up, and today I looked at it and it was peeling off... It took me pulling gently on it to realize it was hair!! Oh my god, I feel so bad for not noticing sooner... Two of her little teeth are so so loose and I'm worried she won't be able to keep them after they remove the hair. (I did try to do it myself but it's under her tongue and wrapped way too tightly around her teeth. I'm worried I'll end up pulling them out with it...) Thank you for your post, I thought I was alone. Her breath has been AWFUL. I took her to the vet for that months ago and they couldn't find anything. I know this has been going on too long...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had the same problem with my Boxer. He's always had bad breath since I rescued him and I have brushed his teeth a few times but today was the first time I noticed about a 3 inch long hair glob along his gum line above the k9. It smelled awful and the gums were extremely swollen along the k9 as well.

    After I brushed his teeth, which were extremely sensitive and prone to bleeding along the k9, I then used a spray bottle and put on the stream setting to give him a good rinse. Hopefully no infections will come of this but I feel bad for not brushing his teeth regularly. I'll try to do it nightly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had the same problem with my Boxer. He's always had bad breath since I rescued him and I have brushed his teeth a few times but today was the first time I noticed about a 3 inch long hair glob along his gum line above the k9. It smelled awful and the gums were extremely swollen along the k9 as well.

    After I brushed his teeth, which were extremely sensitive and prone to bleeding along the k9, I then used a spray bottle and put on the stream setting to give him a good rinse. Hopefully no infections will come of this but I feel bad for not brushing his teeth regularly. I'll try to do it nightly from now on.

    ReplyDelete