Saturday, January 15, 2011

My "Little" Project

***WARNING...photos may be upsetting to some readers AND this is a LONG post***

For nearly the last week I've been working on a little project...that I knew would be anything but little.  I'm happy to say at 1am this morning it was finally done!!  Yiiiippppeeeee!!!  What is it?  What is this project that causes such joy you ask??

I took this room, in all its messy, unorganized glory....
And turned it into this....
Omg I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!  Steve thought of making our spare bedroom into my sewing room & he gave me the sewing table for Christmas.  We had the spare bed in there for nearly 10 years & I think we've had only a handful of people even stay over...so yeah, why not??!! 

As you can see, it was really just a big walk-in closet/catch all room.  The bed held my bags, Steve's protective vest & was the kitties favorite napping place.  The closet...well, it was just easier to keep the door open...Overall, it was a mess, there were photos upon photos, new & full photo albums, and hidden treasures like lots of wedding stuff (including print outs of our registries--doesn't everyone have a copy of theirs?)...all under the bed.

Ugh...yeah, I'm a packrat...I know I am...

But I trekked on & wasn't scared or disappointed in the days worth of decluttering, tossing, organizing, dusting, vacuuming & making furniture.  Yep, I put together the 2 bookcases AND the 96-lb (& about 300 piece) sewing table.   I turned this:
Into this:
Only took me 4 hours & 15 min too!  hahahahaha  I'm so dang proud...it has about 4 million screws & hinges, but the thing I'm most proud of...it has a sliding drawer...all put together by me...
Didn't think I could do it...even asked my dad to come help...but he couldn't make it until the next day & I just couldn't wait.  You can see the pride in my own eyes...and the mess still in the closet!!
I was finally able to put up some of my favorite things in this room!  Here are some great bulldog prints I have had for YEARS just waiting to go somewhere!!
Here is "Woof".  He was one of my first stuffed animals, in fact, he may have been bigger than me when I got him as a gift...oh & he WAS bright orange!  He has been loved.
"My" chair that I received from my grandparents for my 8th birthday.  This was a chair they had at their house that apparently I said was "mine" as a very little girl.  They painted it for me back then & while it probably should be repainted again, I think it just fits perfectly in the room as is!  Doc has given his approval too.
Howie was happy to see the mirror back on the dresser where it belongs rather than in a corner collecting dust...not that he uses it of course...
Oh & because I don't have a large inventory of thread, I got creative with displaying some fun bulldog items!
Sorry to go on & on, but this has been my life the last week & I'm just so excited to start sewing here..
Hope your week was just as productive everybully!!

6 comments:

  1. Kim, Otis and StellaJanuary 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM

    Looks great! We have way too many things in common Jen - its kind of scary! Bulldogs, Disney, pack rats, and sewing!!! My sewing habit is messy and expensive (wait - so are bulldogs and being a pack rat!)so I don't do it often! Congrats on getting that done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim...I knew I liked you! :0) Yes, I'm actually afraid to use the room in fear of messing it up...better get over that fast!! I'm also glad to know I'm not alone in being a pack rat..I mean, you just never know when you'll NEED something right?? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic!!!! I'm so impressed...and a little inspired to tackle a closet or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! I've put together a few peices of furniture too and wowza! that's a lot of work.
    Have fun in your sewing room! It'll be great to be able to shut the door on your "sewing mess" right? (my mom lives with me, and she would love to be able to "hide" her sewing mess LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Jen...now lets see what you are sewing?

    ReplyDelete