Sunday, August 2, 2009

Contact solution, baby wipes & Malaseb pads...take your pick

For those of us with bulldogs, we know how important it is to keep their folds clean & dry. Recently, Howie's nose rope has been nasty yeasty!! I think it's because of the ingredient change in his food...I actually contacted the food company & they called me back. I was surprised & impressed with their customer service & while, yes, some of the ingredients changed, they didn't INCREASE any of the old ingredients that I thought would have caused problems (i.e. potatoes). So...I'll keep my eye on it & see if it gets any better now that fall has arrived in Minnesota already. (Boo! Hiss!!)

I'm a self-proclaimed gross freak...you know, I like to pop blackheads, peel sunburned skin, clean out the vacuum...so clearly, cleaning folds is right up my alley!! I use a couple different products to clean the bullie's folds. It's surprising how many human products I use on my dogs. For their folds I use multi-purpose contact solution (Target brand of course !). It has boric acid in it & that helps dry out the folds. I just pour some on cotton rounds, wipe out the folds, look at the grossness (to make sure it was a success of course) & then use a dry cotton round as a follow up. I usually do this every morning when I'm getting ready for work. The bullies have to get ready too! Surprisingly, they don't mind much.

Unscented baby wipes have multiple uses at my house...all dog related!! They're good for cleaning out folds & ears, cleaning up the leather couch (pee-pee jucie ewwww) & of course cleaning the bullies' bums if needed. I use unscented because if they are scented, it could cause some irritation...don't want that.

My new favorite product for folds are Malaseb pledgets. Sandy sent me home with some a few months ago to use on Doc's skin (he had some weird crusties on his belly) & she warned me if Vivi's nose rope was anything like her momma Jazz's then I'd need these pledgets! Pledgets is a fancy word for pad apparently. They are the size of a cotton round, but are wet (think acne pads). They work so well because they contain antibacterial & anti fungal ingredients as well as Vitamin E. I really like them & they work well. I actually just found a great deal for the Malaseb pads on Amazon.com...60 pads for $6.79. I ordered a few sets so I don't run out.

Some say because of the special cleaning bullies need they are "high maintenance"...I don't see it that way. I just see it as just something that has to be done in order to keep my bullies healthy. No biggie....plus, cleaning folds can have a high gross factor...even when you clean daily...so you know I LOVE it!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to give you my Pledgets...me and the bullies don't like them. i think they must sting cuz they go crazy when i use them. My favorite is the eye cleaner and yup, always have the wipes in reach!! :)

    ReplyDelete