Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Swimming Bulldogs

I decided to venture out to my in-laws this weekend & take Howie & Vivi swimming in their beautiful pool. It would be great rehab for Howie & I was just interested in seeing how Vivi would do since she now likes to make "bubbles" in our little kiddy pool....plus, it was nice & hot & humid so what's better than swimming?? I decided not to bring Doc for a few reasons 1) He HATES to ride in the car & I didn't want to stress him out, 2) Last year he wanted NOTHING to do w/the pool at Grama & Grampa's, 3) I was going by myself & figured I could control 2 on my own, 3 would be a little more difficult & it was bad enough I was inviting myself & 2 dogs over, I didn't feel like asking my in-laws to dogsit while I was in the pool too (although I know they would have--they love bullies).

So off we went to Grama Judy's & Grampa Steve's pool! Howie & Vivi were quite excited w/our little field trip. When we arrived I set up my portable kennel. This kept the bullies contained when one was swimming w/me & again, didn't have to worry about anyone feeling like they had to dogsit AND more importantly, no bullies fell in the pool while not wearing a life jacket (we only have the one...will have to get another). Howie & Vivi didn't mind sharing the kennel at all & were very well behaved the entire time!

I took Howie in first because his swimming was more of a necessity, where Vivi's was more for fun. I didn't get any photos of Howie swimming this time...but I'm sure we'll be going again & I'll get some then. He did great & really used his back legs well...which is exactly why I wanted him to go swimming. He did jump in at one point to go after a ball & of course more or less sank, but I was right there to pull up on the vest faster than he would have floated up! He was a bit taken aback, but continued on his swimming ways!!

Then it was Vivi's turn...put the vest on her & brought her down by the pool. She wasn't so sure about the whole thing.
So I lifted her in & away she went!!
And away
And away
She just kept trucking along like she's been doing this her whole life. She was SOOOOO fast!! I just kept laughing the entire time because she just kept zooming one way & another!
I let her swim around for a couple minutes & then decided to give her a little break. Swimming can be a totally stressful situation for bullies. It's not a natural thing for them to just swim! So I wanted to make sure she was ok & had a little break. I helped her out of the pool & just let her settle down for a bit.
I thought she'd go running in the opposite direction of the pool. Instead she just stayed on the side & watched us. She obviously wasn't afraid or anything so that was good. She, too, watched the ball & eventually jumped right back in! Again, of course I was right there to help her float up, but she just went on her merry way & swam around some more!

Overall, both Howie & Vivi had a great time at Grama Judy's & Grampa Steve's pool! Vivi had such a good time, she kept walking around the yard w/the life vest on!

1 comment:

  1. Do they invite other canine friends over...like, by chance, a Toller! ??? hahaha, he could use the swimming practice!

    Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete